Green & Environmental Job Websites
A directory of green/environmental job sites in Canada and beyond. A great starting point for meaningful, rewarding work in environment, conservation and sustainability.
(1) Jobs with environmental groups, organizations, green businesses
• GoodWork Canada - green and environmental jobs from across Canada. Jobs in environment, conservation, sustainability, nature. Jobs with environmental organizations, green business, education and government. www.GoodWork.ca
• Canadian Environmental Network (RCEN) - Canada's national network of over 600 environmental organizations. The RCEN's Job Board displays the same jobs as GoodWork; postings are automatically published on both sites. www.RCEN.ca
• Provincial Environmental Networks - each province also has an environmental network, many of which have eco-job boards or e-mail lists. Nova Scotia | New Brunswick | Prince Edward Island | Newfoundland and Labrador | Quebec (see also) | Ontario | Manitoba | Saskatchewan | Alberta | British Columbia | Yukon Territory | Northwest Territories | Nunavut
• Canadian Environmental Organizations sometimes post their jobs to GoodWork and the RCEN; other times only to their own employment or career section. Here are some of the larger and more influential environmental organizations in Canada: Canadian Environmental Law Association (CELA) | Canadian Green Building Council (CaGBC) | Canadian Institute for Environmental Law and Policy (CIELAP) | Canadian Solar Industries Association (CANSIA) | Canadian Wind Energy Association (CANWEA) | Climate Action Network Canada | David Suzuki Foundation | Ecojustice (formerly Sierra Legal Defence Fund) | Environmental Defence Canada | Earth Day Canada | Evergreen Foundation | Great Lakes United (GLU) | Green Communities Association (GCA) | Greenpeace Canada | Local Governments for Sustainability / International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI) | Nature Canada | Nature Conservancy of Canada | Pembina Institute | Pollution Probe | Sierra Club of Canada | Solar Energy Society of Canada | Canadian Parks & Wilderness Society | World Wildlife Fund Canada. To find more, go to any of the provincial environment networks above and look for their "directory" or member list.
• Charity Village - A wide variety of jobs with Canadian charities and nonprofits of all types, including some environment jobs. www.charityvillage.com. See also WorkinNonprofits.ca | Eluta | Career Jet | Monster | Open Directory
• Sustainability Network - Resources, an e-mail newsletter, workshops and training to help you learn and develop as an environmental professional. This is not a job board. www.sustainabilitynetwork.ca
• USA & International Environmental Job Sites - sites that focus on the United States, UK or international: Idealist.org | Ecojobs.com | Grist | Treehugger | Eco.org | JustMeans | StopDodo | Bright Green Talent | Orion Magazine | EcoEmploy.com | Wiser Earth | Environmental Career | GreenBiz | Open Directory | Science Jobs
(2) Jobs in environmental industry, environmental engineering, environmental science, green companies
• GoodWork Canada - includes Green Business Job Postings (as well as jobs with environmental non-profits, environmental education and sustainable government). Also on their site: Create Your Own Green Job and a resource section on Green Business and Environmental Economics. www.GoodWork.ca
• ECO Canada (Environmental Careers Organization) - Focuses primarily on technical and scientific positions, traditionally from the environment industry, but also some management positions from other sectors. Also internships, training, certification, accreditation. www.eco.ca
• Canadian Environmental - www.canadianenvironmental.com
• Ontario Environmental Industry Association - www.oneia.ca
• Canadian Business for Corporate Responsibility (CBSR) - www.cbsr.ca
• Sustainable Business (mostly USA) - www.sustainablebusiness.com
(3) Renewable Energy Jobs in Canada
In addition to the more general green or environmental job sites mentioned above, here are some sites that focus on renewable energy, solar power, wind power, etc.
• GoodWork Canada - section on Renewable Energy Jobs
• Canadian Solar Industries Association (CanSIA) - www.cansia.ca
• Canadian Wind Energy Association (CanWEA) - www.cansia.ca
• British Columbia Sustainable Energy Association - www.bcsea.org
• Ontario Solar Energy Association - www.ontario-sea.org
• Solar Nova Scotia - www.solarns.ca
(4) Green Building Jobs in Canada & USA
In addition to the more general green/environmental job sites mentioned above, these sites focus on green building jobs, contracts, networking, etc.
• Canadian Green Building Council (CaGBC) - www.cagbc.org
• Light House Sustainable Building Centre (British Columbia) - sustainablebuildingcentre.com
• Green Building Gateway - Green Building Links, Resources, Organizations, Courses, Conferences
• U.S. Green Building Council - www.usgbc.org
• Jobs in Green Building (USA) - jobsingreenbuilding.com
(5) Environmental Education Jobs, Outdoor Education Jobs, Outdoor Jobs
In addition to the more general green/environmental job sites mentioned above, these sites focus on environmental and outdoor education jobs, outdoor recreation jobs, ecotourism jobs, contracts, networking, etc.
• GoodWork Canada - section on Environmental Education Jobs
• Environmental Education in Canada - websites, organizations, e-mail lists, publications | Evergreen | Earthday
• Paddling, Canoeing, Kayaking, Outdoor Jobs - Paddling Canada | Out There | Northern BC | Cool Jobs Canada - Lodge & Resort Jobs | Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) | Articles & Resources: Explore Magazine | Outside Magazine | E How | Outdoor Job Opportunities | Outdoor Adventure Canada | Hike Canada | Hike Ontario
• Parks Jobs - National Parks & National Marine Conservation Areas | Ontario Parks | BC Parks | USA
(6) Conservation and Stewardship Jobs
In addition to the more general green/environmental job sites mentioned above, these sites focus on conservation and stewardship jobs, contracts, networking, etc.
• GoodWork Canada - section on Conservation & Stewardship
• Conservation Organizations & Networks in Canada - Canadian Council on Ecological Areas | Canadian Land Trust Alliance | Canadian Parks & Wilderness Society | Canadian Wildlife Federation | Conservation Ontario | Ducks Unlimited Canada | Mining Watch | Nature Canada | Nature Conservancy of Canada | Ontario Nature | The Land Conservancy of BC | Sierra Club of Canada | Stewardship Canada | Wildlife Habitat Canada | World Wildlife Fund Canada | David Suzuki Foundation | Greenpeace Canada | Canadian Boreal Initiative | Canadian Model Forest Network | Ecoforestry | Forest Ethics | Forest Management Certification in Canada | Forest Stewardship Council / FSC Canada | Sustainable Forest Management Network | Taiga Rescue Network | Tree Canada Foundation | More (2)
(7) Sustainable Development / International Development Jobs
In addition to the more general green/environmental job sites mentioned above, these sites focus on sustainable international development jobs, contracts, networking, etc.
• GoodWork Canada - section on international/overseas environmental jobs
• Canadian Council for International Cooperation - www.ccic.ca (includes "Who's Who" directory of international development organizations in Canada) | Ontario Council for International Cooperation (OCIC) - International Development Jobs
• Charity Village - www.charityvillage.com (choose jobs, then "advanced search")
• International Volunteering - Green Volunteers | Canadian Crossroads International | Youth Challenge International | Canada World Youth | Companeros | CUSO | Volunteer Latin America | Volunteer 4 Africa | Directory of Environmental Organizations Worldwide (search for Area of Focus: Environment and Ecology) (2) | Ecovillages | Wwoof (2) | Volunteer Travel | Volunteering Abroad Links (2). Use Google to search for countries and topics that interest you, e.g. volunteer bolivia environmental.
(Editor's note: in an international context, the words "work", "internship" and "volunteering" are sometimes used interchangably. Be sure to check out the links in both sections above to learn about the available options).
• Thinking of working, volunteering or traveling abroad? - how to Travel Sustainably.
(8) Sustainable Agriculture and Organic Jobs
In addition to the more general green/environmental job sites mentioned above, these sites focus on sustainable food and agriculture jobs, contracts, networking, etc.
• GoodWork Canada - section on Sustainable Agriculture Jobs
• Sustainable Food & Agriculture Organizations in Canada - link
• Sustainable Agriculture Jobs - Google Search
• Internships and Volunteering - SOIL Apprenticeships Canada | CRAFT Ontario | ACORN (Atlantic Canada) | Manitoba Farm Mentorships | Alberta Sustainable Agriculture Apprenticeship | PlanetVolunteer (food, gardening & farming section) | WWOOF (Worldwide)
(9) Environmental Government Jobs in Canada
There are many roles, ministries departments and agencies that do work related to conservation, environment and sustainability. This directory of Environment Related Government Employment Opportunities is intended as a starting point. For better or worse, government departments are always merging, changing and revising their websites, so you might also have to do some Googling to find the correct links. The directory includes links to federal, provincial and municipal governments. Most or all Federal government jobs are now on jobs-emplois.gc.ca.
(10) Environmental Internships
An internship is an entry-level job with a focus on experiential learning. They are generally intended for "youth", which can imply anything up to age 30. Internships usually have a specified duration, ranging from one month to a year or more. Internships can be paid and/or have other benefits such as training, food, accommodation or travel expenses. The following sites/organizations offer environmental, conservation or sustainability internships:
(a) Environmental/Eco-internships in Canada:
GoodWork Canada - search for internship
(b) Local/Provincial Internships
Quebec: Katimavik Eco-Internship / Eco-Stage | Société de conservation des milieux humides du Québec | Quebec Labrador Foundation
(c) International Internships (with at least some environmental/sustainability focus)
CIDA Internships | Canadian Crossroads International | Youth Challenge International | Canada World Youth | Companeros | CUSO | Idealist.org | Volunteer Latin America | Volunteer 4 Africa | Institute for Cultural Ecology | More (2) | How to Travel Sustainably
Editor's note: in an international context, the words "work", "internship" and "volunteering" are sometimes used interchangably. Be sure to check out the links in both sections above to learn about the available options.
(11) Environmental Volunteering, Work Stay, Pro Bono
Environmental Volunteering in Canada
International Environmental and Conservation Volunteering
(12) Mainstream Job Sites
There are many, many job boards. A good place to start is Open Directory's Employment section. Here are some sites that are active in Canada: Workopolis,com | CareerJet.ca | CareerBuilder.ca | Monster.ca | Service Canada's Job Bank. Sites that search/index jobs from many other sites: WowJobs.ca | Eluta.ca | Indeed.ca.
To find green/environmental jobs, use each site's "advanced search" feature. Try various keywords and synonyms that describe your interests. If you search for a phrase such as "climate change", try including the quotation marks to get a better match.
(13) Suggest a Site
If you know a site we've missed, please let us know.
Green Job Search Tips | 'Hidden' Green Jobs | Create Your own Green Job